This page will contain updates to gym policies and procedures pertaining to COVID-19.
As this is an ever changing situation, please check back for updates and additional information, or call us at 503.894.8896 or 503.841.6840.
Some generous members asked for a way to help our coaches. Here was their idea. Thank you! #grateful
UPDATE 3/17/2020, 4:40 pm.
PCB Family. After much consideration and in light of the increasing severity of the COVID-19 situation, we have decided to close both gym locations for a minimum of two to three weeks effective at 8:30 pm tonight. Despite the increased cleaning and distancing measures put in place, we have decided that it is best to fully close our doors temporarily to protect the health of our staff, members, and their families, and help in slowing the spread of COVID-19.
All memberships will be placed on hold during our suspension of operations, and will be re-activated at the prorated amount when normal operations resume. Auto-billing scheduled for tonight and beyond will be disabled in the next hour. You do not need to do anything at this time to pause your membership. We will be sending out an update to members, as well as posting here on April 1st.
While we are all on this break from the gym, we will not be taking a break from training! Look for videos, and newsletters from some of your coaches with workouts and activities to keep your skills sharp and body strong.
Sending the warmest of virtual hugs to each and every one of you.
And looking forward to being back in the gym with you all soon.
~The entire team at Portland City Boxing
Policies and Hygiene Practices
In order to provide the best possible experience for our members during the current situation around COVID-19. PCB has taken the following precautionary measures:
- All Sparring classes are suspended until further notice. Personal Training will continue at each client and coach’s discretion. PT clients, please contact your coach directly with questions.
- Classes times have been adjusted, and for the time being, we are suspending the 10 am, 4:15 pm, and 8 pm weekday classes, and the 1 pm Saturday class.
- Our early morning classes will be alternated between the Downtown and SE locations, however attendance at these classes is open to all PCB members, regardless of your membership type. The early morning classes will be AT THE DOWNTOWN GYM M/W/F AT 6:15 and AT THE SE GYM T/Th at 6am. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
- In accordance with personal distancing recommendations for safe hygiene, partner mitt work/tag will be paused for the time being. Individual bag work and partner supportive activities like one partner on the bag while the other does cardio/strength exercises will continue. In addition, we’ll be adding some fun activities, weather permitting, such as an outside jog or lunges around the block or around the park. Your suggestions for other activities are welcome, too!
- In accordance with CDC guidelines for restricting gathering sizes, we will be limiting class sizes to 8 participants maximum – plus a coach and desk staff (25% capacity of our usual class size) in order to make sure there is no chance of crowding. In addition, we will have some morning open gym hours to come in and typically have few others in the gym. Call ahead to confirm space.
To be sure there is room in a class, you can call ahead of time to reserve your spot.
*Downtown classes, call 503-894-8896
*Southeast classes, call 503-841-6840.
If you are unable to make a class you have reserved a space for, please call and release your spot for someone else.
- As a part of our efforts to reduce the number of people in the gym at a given time, we are temporarily moving the Saturday 11am kids class to 10:45 am at our SE location. This will relieve congestion at the downtown gym, and still allow all Saturday classes to take place. In addition, the Saturday 10am class in SE will shift to 9:30 am on Saturdays until further notice. Please check the calender of classes for the most updated schedule.
- As a part of our commitment to health and safety, we remind everyone to always wipe all equipment including kettlebell handles, dumbbells, and jump rope handles after use – in class or during your own workout. You’ll notice lots of disinfecting wipes around the gym. Please use them.
- Hand washing practices at the gym: Wash before class, and wash again after class. Follow the CDC 20-second rule.
- After class, please use the spray bottles and rags for wiping bags, then throw your rag in the bin for washing. Do not reuse rags.
- Coaches will be mopping floors right after most classes. We request all members use mats for floor exercises, and we ask you to wipe the mats after use, or bring your own.
- Although we take care to spray and use heated dryers for loaner gloves , we recommend the use of your own gloves for boxing at this time. If you choose to use loaner gloves, please remember they *always go in the bin for staff to clean and dry and then will be replaced the next day on the shelf for use. Please do not ever put used gloves back in the cubbies. Follow good hand hygiene after use.
- At the gym, we are also doing additional after hours disinfecting of bags and other high-touch surface areas, as well as continued cleaning of equipment throughout the day. However, we request everyone’s help in keeping the gym clean by following the above procedures.
- Otherwise, common sense hygiene is still the rule. In addition to washing your hands, don’t touch your face/mouth/nose once your hands are clean.
- Finally, please stay home if you feel ill or have a cough and/or fever. We will be happy to see you and to help get your workout program resumed when you’re feeling better!
- Dont hesitate to call us or stop by the front desk of you have any questions.
Kids at PCB:
With PPS and other area schools being cancelled next week, we anticipate there may be more kids joining mom or dad at the gym. We want to support all our members in their working out and staying healthy right now, so with this in mind, have set the following guidelines:
If your child is over 10, and healthy, and wants to join you in a workout, bring them! For the next 2 weeks, any member can bring their child (ages 10-17) to the gym for a daytime class at no charge – with advance notice. Just give us a call beforehand, so we can be sure we have enough space. If they want to workout with you, your kids are welcome to join in our noon classes, M-F. If a workout is not appealing to your son or daughter, and they are able sit on the couch with a quiet activity while you workout, we are also open to them being at the gym during the day. Again, please give us a call ahead of time to be sure there is room.
At Home Support
If you need to stay home with kids or to care for yourself or others at this time, coaches Mike, Julianne, Joshua and Phoenix will be posting some fun workout snippets on our Facebook and Instagram pages next week to help you get some exercise and stress relief! Find us @portlandcityboxing UPDATE, Monday, 3/16: Check out today’s IG Live from Coach Joshua!
Once again, we want to thank you for your help and support of the special fitness community we get to be a part of at PCB. We appreciate everyone’s extra attention to cleaning and caring for each others well being. We will continue to monitor the situation, and take direction from the CDC and the Oregon Health Authority.
Jeff, Mike, Lura, Julianne and all of the team at Portland City Boxing.